We're Pleased to announce our book "Chockenstein" is availble for digital download. Click here for details.

Where Chocolate grows


Where Chocolate grows

where chocolate grows

Where Chocolate grows

Chocolate is a delicious treat loved by one and all. Chocolate is a popular gift for almost every holiday. Chocolate is in every supermarket, convenient store, large retail stores, and discount membership stores. Chocolate permeates nearly every aspect of our shopping lives. I bet you haven't noticed any Cocoa trees lately. That's because cause chocolate doesn't grow in very many places. I bet you are now wondering where chocolate grows? 

Chocolate only grows 20 degrees north or south of the equator. The equator is the midway mark between the north and south pole and runs around the earth. The equator's distance is 24,901 miles, and nearly 79% of that distance is water, leaving only roughly 21% land for cocoa to grow. To put where (Cocoa) chocolate grows into perspective, there are 195 countries in the world, and the equater only passes through 13 countries known affectionately as the Cocoa belt. 

These are the top Cocoa Growing countries 

  1. Dominican Republic
  2. Peru
  3. Mexico
  4. Ecuador
  5. Brazil
  6. Cameroon
  7. Nigeria
  8. Indonesian
  9. Ghana
  10. Cote d'Ivoire

Where chocolate grows is both interesting and troubling. Issues like child labor, lack of education, poor wages, and deforestation make headlines regularly. Global corporations have invested heavily in cocoa-producing countries to help build infrastructure to help those who are farming the chocolate of the world benefit from their toil. There have also been large investments and regulations in Cocoa farming to ensure sustainability for future generations

From this small belt of warm rainy land comes all of our chocolate. When we buy chocolate, we should think of the farmers who cultivated the beans to make that which we pop into our mouth. We should take a moment to think about how much went into producing the chocolate that only lasts for a second on our lips. Its also amazing to think of global the chocolate business is and how far it travels from where chocolate grows.

Related Posts

Have you ever wondered who invented the chocolate pretzel
Have you ever wondered who invented the chocolate pretzel
While there is no way to verify who invented the chocolate pretzel exactly, there are some clues. History provides a tim
Read More
How to spot the 4 different types of chocolate.
How to spot the 4 different types of chocolate.
How to spot the 4 different types of chocolate. You might be surprised to know there are only four types of chocolate. D
Read More
Surprisingly yes chocolate is Keto friendly
Surprisingly yes chocolate is Keto friendly
Surprisingly yes, chocolate is Keto friendly. There are some guidelines for eating chocolate on the keto diet. You will
Read More