July 21, 2018A remarkable Chocolate brand inspired by innovation. Dr.Chockenstein® brand chocolate was inspired by the innovative chocolate makers, chocolatiers and candy makers that were once startups in Philadelphia and grew into national brands in the United States.
July 07, 2018
There is nothing that excites me more then reading scientific studies. The crescendo that keeps me on the edge of my seat most always includes Flavanol’s and Polyphenol’s. Im serious! Every time I read about chocolate/cocoa in the news its good. Ok, maybe i am being facetious, its not an exciting read. Could you imagine Jack Ryan of Tom Clancy Fame staring in “A Clear and Present Polyphenol” Or “The Hunt for Red Flavanol” , exactly. Scientific studies are no where as exciting as eating chocolate, or reading a good thriller.
The thing is, it almost seems like collectively we’re looking for a reason NOT to eat chocolate. There seems to be a torch and pitchfork mob of scientist searching for the real truth why we should quit eating the Food of the Gods. Meanwhile, other food groups that we all know are artery clogging nastiness are glorified. Full disclosure; I am a fan of artery clogging nastiness like every other gastronomically motivated human. So why the hunt? Why the need to prove Chocolate and Cocoa are , um well good for us in moderation?
The short answer is, Chocolate and Cocoa are so amazing that even studying them is interesting. For good measure here are 9 proven Reasons to stop justifying your chocolate obsession and just enjoy the sweet stuff.
- Its good for your heart : It might seem too good to be true, but dark chocolate is good for you and scientists now know why. Dark chocolate helps restore flexibility to arteries while also preventing white blood cells from sticking to the walls of blood vessels. Both arterial stiffness and white blood cell adhesion are known factors that play a significant role in atherosclerosis. What’s more, the scientists also found that increasing the flavanol content of dark chocolate did not change this effect.
- It can be beneficial to Diabetics : For people with type 2 diabetes, daily dark chocolate consumption of 20 grams per day (that was rich with polyphenols) helped increase the sensitivity to insulin. This is important for blood glucose control. Increasing insulin sensitivity may also help delay the onset of type 2 diabetes in people with pre-diabetes. (1)
- It may prevent stroke : The study in Wednesday’s issue of the journal Neurology suggested that men who ate one-third of a cup of chocolate chips had a lower risk of stroke than those who didn’t eat any of the sweet treat.
- Its good for Pregnant mothers and babies: Katri Raikkonen at the University of Helsinki, Finland, and her colleagues asked pregnant women to rate their stress levels and chocolate consumption. The babies born to women who had been eating chocolate daily during pregnancy were more active and “positively reactive” – a measure that encompasses traits such as smiling and laughter.
- It lowers Cholesterol: In a controlled trial, cocoa powder was found to significantly decrease oxidized LDL cholesterol in men. It also increased HDL and lowered total LDL in men with elevated cholesterol.
- Its good for your Skin: The bioactive compounds in dark chocolate may also be great for your skin.The flavonols can protect against sun-induced damage, improve blood flow to the skin and increase skin density and hydration
- Its good for the Brain: To the best of our knowledge, this is the first dietary intervention study demonstrating that the regular consumption of cocoa flavanols might be effective in improving cognitive function in elderly subjects with mild cognitive impairment.
- It makes us Happy: Phenylethylamine, another family of chemicals, is found in chocolate in very small amounts. It is a naturally occurring substance with a structure that is closely related to synthetic amphetamines, which of course, are also stimulants. It is often said that our brain produces phenylethylamine when we fall in love. It acts by producing endorphins, the brain’s natural “feel-good” molecules.
- Its good for your Eyes: That’s because a recent study found that dark chocolate might improve your ability to see in low-contrast situations, such as poor weather.
Do you find yourself scrambling for a justification of why you just ate that bonbon ?
May 23, 2018Consumption of chocolate by your pet can make your dog feel uncomfortable and sick. If proper care is not taken and the dog is not offered adequate medical attention, it could lead to its death. This article will inform you why dogs cannot eat chocolate.
May 09, 2018We've Teamed up with Iron Hill Brewery for our second annual Chocolate and Beer pairing dinner in conjunction with the release of our Signature Seasonal Beer The Dr.Chocokenstein® Chocolate Stout.
May 09, 2018That means if Paleolithic Humans lived in the Cocoa Belt or the Chocolate Belt; this band extends up to 20 degrees of latitude north and south of the equator, they very well may have utilized Chocolate in some capacity.
February 11, 2018
We had the unbelievable pleasure to collaborate on this Chocolate Stout craft beer with Iron Hill Brewery. If you didn’t know, Iron Hill is one of the most award winning craft breweries in the country. Their list of awards and is so long I had to add a link to it here . We set out to make the worlds best Chocolate Stout beer.
Lead Brewer Jeff took us under his wing and showed us the ropes of brewing. We started out with the milling process. Jeff selected the perfect combination of grains to send to the mashing tank. There all of the sugars are separated trough the process of lautering using hot water. This creates the Wort. Wort is the sugar and water that was removed from the grains.
It was super hot in the brewery. As a chocolate guys,we're used to working in much cooler environments so we had to step outside and sample a bunch of beers to cool down.
After Lautering we sent the Wort over to the boiling tank. It takes quite a while to get that much liquid to boil so Jeff made us clean the brewery while we waited. It was pretty hot but I knew the sooner I was done scrubbing the sooner I would be rewarded with more Craft Beer Samples.
I was wrong, because then we had to clean out the grain tank. Jeff informed us that a farmer comes and takes the grain away to use on his farm. These guys have it figured out. They not only have created excellent systems for their beer brewing, they are very environmentally conscience as well.
Chocolate Blog – Page 13
We are obsessed with everything chocolate and we try to share our passion with as much chocolate information possible. Through blog posts, articles and education on the topic of chocolate.